Matt Hill’s Biography
- Matt earned a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Choral Conducting at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln in 2019 under the tutelage of Dr. Pete Eklund.
- Matt earned a Master’s degree in choral conducting as a Graduate Assistant at Oklahoma State University in 2012 under the tutelage of Dr. Z. Randall Stroope.
Matt joined the Peru State College faculty in September, 2014 as Director of Choral Activities. His teaching duties at Peru State include: Music Theory II, and III, Music History 1 and 2, Choral Methods, Conducting, and direction of the Concert Chorale and Women’s Choir. His current service to the campus community includes membership on the Teacher Education Committee, Chairmanship of the Assessment Committee, and membership on the Faculty Senate.
Professional Choral Work
Matt founded “Sing Omaha Inc.” in January, 2007. This 501c3 non-profit organization serves as the Nation’s only K-12/adult choral arts non-profit, and is comprised of ten choirs, which serve more than 400 singers in Douglas and Sarpy County Nebraska each year. Additionally, Sing Omaha Studios offers two locations for private lesson instruction in piano, voice, and guitar with the state’s only fully-degreed staff of teachers; all of whom hold Bachelor’s degrees or better in music.
Matt serves as Executive Director and Artistic Director, managing the organization’s budget, non-profit status, day-to-day management, oversight of administrative and artistic/educational staff, service on the Sing Omaha Board of Directors, maintaining a full voice/piano studio, and conducting two of the ten ensembles.
Matt oversees membership, staff, and Board recruitment, concert programming, logistics (rehearsal and concert venues, guest artists, commissions, etc.), maintains Sing Omaha’s three websites and other press. He also solicits private, corporate, and grant funding to supplement the organization’s operation costs.
In addition to his work with Sing Omaha, Matt has served in music ministry steadily since 2003, and has performed as a conductor, chorister, and featured soloist with numerous local and regional ensembles. He is also regularly called upon to conduct clinics, festivals, and honor choirs, and to adjudicate choral/vocal competitions in Nebraska and around the country.
Honors & Awards
- Peru State College named Matt as the 2019 Teaching Excellence Award winner (faculty member of the year). Matt is honored to join Peru State administrators and other dignitaries in the stage party at May’s Commencement ceremony where he will share a brief address with the graduating class.
- The Nebraska Choral Directors Association honored Matt as their “Choral Conductor of the Year” for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Matt was named to the Midlands Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” list of businesspeople in 2017 for his work with Sing Omaha Inc.
- In the Fall of 2015, Matt was honored as the “Young Choral Director of the Year” by Nebraska Choral Directors Association
- Matt was inducted into the Oklahoma State University Music Education Hall of Fame in the Fall of 2014 as its inaugural member.
Matt has served the Nebraska Choral Directors Association Board since 2009 as the organization’ s Community Choirs Repertoire and Resources Chairman. Additionally, Matt has contributed to the creation of NCDA’s independent 501c3 non-profit status, and to other governance issues. Matt was elected as the organization’s Treasurer in 2018.